Saturday, April 11, 2009

One Week Out

I'm sitting one week out from Powerman Alabama which will be my first race of the season. I'm getting more excited about the prospects of putting it all out there and seeing how my fitness measures up. I've put the time in and feel good about where I am. The only real variable that I can't control will be the reaction of the other competitors to the race course. I've mentioned before that the course is basically a crit course. It's 3 laps of 10.3 miles with 25 turns per lap. Not the best course to cram in a bunch of triathletes/duathletes. Any way, I can't change it. I can only adapt and enjoy the race for what it is.

This has been a good week of training. I'll mention my two favorites of the week. The first was my longest swim to date. A 67 lap 1.9 mile swim which took me an hour on the nose to complete. I'd set my mind to swimming for an hour and decided that I would just take it easy and see what happened. I had a blast, although my back muscles were talking to me a bit on Friday.

Today I met up with a different group for a ride and a run. There were five of us in the group and I dare say that they were all incredible athletes. We had killer 40 mile ride out through the south of town. The pace was rockin and was always a challenge. It was good to ride with a group that pushes you to hold your own and keep the pace up. I finished up with a 5 mile run to simulate my goal pace for the race next week. I was dead on, but we'll see how I hold up after running 5 prior to the bike as well.

That's all for now. It's time to walk the wife and my dog. Tailwinds..

2 comments:

  1. Always a week out from a race is exciting especially if you have been looking forward to it! Good luck gearing up this week. Looking forward to what the race brings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Luck man Haul some Ass this weekend!

    ReplyDelete