Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Tuesday Morning Hill Repeats

First of all, this past weekend was amazing. It was our first sure sign of Spring. Temps were in the high 60's and the sun was blazing. Dr. Nitrous and I had a great ride on Saturday which left my aching during my run on Sunday. It was good to hurt.

After taking the "day off" with a pool session yesterday, I decided to tackle hill repeats this morning with my training partner, the evil Dr. Nitrous.
The good thing about the Dr. is that he's just a little bit better than I am on the run. He's on form right now with a recent 1/2 Mary in 1:33. Nice work and definitely on track for NOLA 70.3 in April.

The plan this morning was to get a 1 mile warm up in and then tackle a .32 mile hill beside my office. Yes, this is the same hill that I get to see the local Cross Country kids run during the day while I'm stuck inside working. After today's workout, I won't feel so bad about being the one in the office in the future.

I thought that I would have been fully recovered from this weekend's training after the day off, but half way up the hill I could start to feel the fatigue of the weekend start to creep in. During the second interval, my body was asking if this could be our last. My quads felt tight, swollen, and dead. Despite the pain, I was only 3 seconds slower. I could feel a bit of a change in my third hill and actually felt faster, but still was 3 seconds slower than my first. But no drop off. The fourth and yes final hill actually felt like my best. My body was adapting and my legs felt a little lighter. I came in 1 second slower than my first hill. Not bad.

The workout was short and sweet. Overall, only about 3.5 miles of running, but it was quality work. Next week, we'll see about adding a 5th and maybe a 6th.

Tailwinds.

No comments:

Post a Comment