Sunday, August 23, 2009

2 Weeks Johnny!

Can't believe it, but I'm in the home stretch of 2 weeks to go before the Plymouth Iron Distance Race. The next two weeks will be tough for me to taper as much as I should. I've required so much of myself these 17-18 weeks that it's going to feel so odd to just sit and rest. Nonetheless, I will do my best.
There are so many things to think about and plan over the next two weeks. First of all, I've never flown with my bike so there's that. I do have a bike box so no worries there, but getting it there and putting it back together in tip top form will be worrisome. Second, flying with all the stuff I need to race. I use an aero helmet so I've decided just to carry it on with me on the plan. Should get plenty of odd looks. There's the nutrition side once I get there. Oi, I'm going to have to stay away from all that wonderful seafood prior to the race. I'll make up for it in the days after I assure you. I have started doing my research on restaurants so we won't have to decide on a restaurant based on what we stumble upon.
Lastly, there's the race itself. What's it going to feel like? How will by body take being out there that long? Will I get enough calories in?
So, there's my head right now. The training is done, and in that I will trust. All of the work has been completed. The race is just the celebration. Let's dance.

2 comments:

  1. You're right, it can all be intimidating. Consider it a rite of passage. Just talk to others and get their advice and you'll be fine. Rest, rest, rest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flying with the bike can be a bit of a pain but you should be ok. depending on the size of the bike case you might only need to remove the pedals, wheels, deraileur hanger, and head set it's pretty easy to get back together, and if you have questions the local riders and bike shops can usually help. Enjoy your taper and goodluck on race day.

    ReplyDelete