Monday, September 14, 2009

The Bike Portion - Sorry late post.

Well, let’s start with T1 first. Once I exited the water, there was a quarter mile (no lie) run to transition. Once there I actually took the time to sit down and carefully put my socks and shoes on. I tore my feet up in the last race that I did, and I wanted to make sure I would be comfortable for the next 112 miles. Transition time was a slow 3:30.
Once you leave transition, you head straight up a short hill and wind your way through downtown Plymouth. Within a mile or so, you take a quick turn off on to a country road that takes you out to Miles Standish State Park. The course itself includes a 6 mile section from transition to the park. Once inside the park, you complete a 25 mile loop four times. I had driven the course the day before so I knew that I would have my work cut out for me. The biggest issue, which I will continue to gripe about, was the condition of the roads. I guess it’s the New England winters that wreak havoc on the asphalt, but there were so many cracks/bumps and pot holes that it made staying in aero near impossible. Secondly, the wind that I mentioned before was still a force and would play a huge role in demoralizing everyone on the bike throughout the day. Everyone I came in contact with was just “blown away” with how hard they were having to work to go 15mph on a flat.
My goal for the ride was to average 19.5-20.0 mph. I did my best not to push it just because I felt good, but I did allow myself to go faster if I could keep my RPE down. This would prove beneficial when I had the wind at my back, but believe me it didn’t negate the wind’s effects. I started nutrition as planned within the first 10 miles and as prescribed starting eating ½ of a Cliff Bar every 10 miles after that. Although I had really done well with Cliff Bars in the past, they just didn’t sit right nor did they taste right. After a bar and a half, I decided to switch to gels which of course after a while I would get to where I couldn’t stand the taste of those either.
One thing of note, as I mentioned the road conditions were horrendous, and during the first lap I started noticing the flash of yellow that would indicate that a triathlon was in town. Yup, that’s right. I started seeing everyone’s aero drink sponges on the ground. The bumps were causing everyone to lose their sponges. I laughed to myself as I had decided against using one opting for the X-lab wing system. It was no longer than a few hundred yards after this that the bumps would have their way with my bottles too. That’s what I get for laughing. Luckily, I had a full bottle mounted to my frame. I could use it and grab more bottles as needed through the aid stations.
The first two laps of the course were fine. I was on track with my pace and I still felt relatively good. I started passing a few more people through some of the tougher sections. As the ride went on, I could tell I was going to be in trouble nutrition wise. I still had a gel to use, but didn’t want to take it. I took it in regardless as well as some salt tabs. I was never happier than when I started my fourth and final lap. I was so sick of the bumps and the wind. This fourth and final lap was miserable as well as the slowest. My mood was dropping along with my energy level. I wanted off the bike asap. At the beginning of the loop my avg was 19.6. When I left the park it was down to 19.3. I was bonking bad. Supposedly I only had 6 miles until the transition area, but my odometer read 108. This only made me madder and more disgruntled as I saw my mileage creep over the 112 mark. Was the course long??? Back in transition finally, I looked at my odometer, it read 114 plus some. I didn’t dwell on it. I’d completed the bike and it was under 6 hours. Race site gave me a split of 5:55, a 18.9 mph pace. Not what I wanted at all, but given the course I’ll take it. Just give me my shoes and let me run!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah New England roads are a little tough but they build charcater, although that is still a pretty good bike split for adverse wind conditions.

    ReplyDelete