Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Rant

Yeah, I may draw some haters after this one, but I've ranted about this to two different people this week and I think it would be better served to throw it out on the blog-o-sphere and see what comes out of it.
I want to talk about the large number of people who decide to tackle the Ironman without being properly trained and prepared. This most recently came to mind while watching footage of IM Wisconsin and seeing the large # of people that weren't able to finish the 2.4 mile swim in 2 hours and 20 minutes. I don't think we should address abilities here, because all people have different speeds and abilities due to age, genetics, what have you. What I want to focus on is that when you decide to tackle the IM you need to decide ahead of time "am I healthy enough to attempt this" and "am I going to put in the required training to complete the race?" If you've answered these two questions, we won't see the mass of people still in the water after nearly 2.5 hours. Nor will we see the last guy they let finish the swim stumbling through T1 like a zombie. First and foremost, you have an obligation to your family and loved ones not to put yourself at risk of becoming the next statistic. It was scary to think that these people who had trouble walking were about to attempt to ride 112 miles and run a marathon.
Secondly, the WTC sanctioned IM races typically have anywhere from 1500 to 2500 slots and they all fill up within hours of opening up for registration. To race IMFL, you have to be there on race day to sign up for next year's race or there is a ZERO chance of getting a slot. (This will be fuel for the fire in a future post "Top Ten Reasons to Compete in Non-WTC Races") I have to get a little mad when I see all of these people who have taken one of these coveted slots waste their opportunity by being irresponsible in their training and assessing their abilities.
The typical athlete can spend anywhere from $3000-$5000 in training and travel expenses for an IM. (this includes all the supplements, tires, tubes, clothing airfare, hotel, rental car etc) Why would you want to waste that kind of money on an event that you haven't properly trained for or one that due to your abilities can't finish? I do believe that the IM is for everyone, not just for the elite, but I do think that with the opportunity comes a responsibility.
With that, I would suggest that all IM races, WTC and our beloved independent races, request that all applicants submit a Half IM result for proof that 1. they are healthy enough to compete and 2. they stand a good chance of finishing the race. I doubt this will ever happen since the race directors get their money whether you finish or not, but I think it would go a long way in making the races a little safer but also more accessible to others.

1 comment:

  1. Bullet, Completely agree with you assement, granted I did race NZ with acouple of guys who just beat the cut off on the swim, granted both of them were expereinced multisport racers, completing multiple marathons and long rides and Taupo is well, freezing and can be rough depending on the winds. Granted I agree that IMs should require either a Half time or at least two marathon finishes within in a year of the race.

    ReplyDelete