Monday, April 26, 2010

My Most Recent Favorite Workout - Ever

In doing a little research on how to SwimBikeRunner faster, I came across an interesting article about plyometric jumps. During a twelve week study, two groups of cyclists were put through similar cycling workouts except one group completed sets of plyometric jumps twice a week. Over the course of the twelve week study, the group performing the plyometric jumps increased their power output by 3% over the control group. It doesn't sound like much, but 3% change is huge. Best of all, these little workouts take about 10 minutes to do.
I did my second set of these this morning after my swim and oi! They were difficult. Where running and cycling require a consistent amount of pressure and power applied against either the ground or your pedals, these require an explosive amount of force applied to complete the jump. Definitely a shock to the system and definitely something that I will continue to do in my effort to SwimBikeRun faster.

Here's my workout:

3 X 7 box jumps with Zero added weight, 10 lbs added weight, then 13 lbs added weight.
3X 10 split jumps with same additional weight plan.
3 X 10 side jumps with no additional weight.

Here are some links.

No comments:

Post a Comment