Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Beach Training Day # 3

Alright so this post is a few days late, but I couldn't let the last day go without writing about it. Not that the day was spectacular, but just for record's sake.

Sunday was to be the last day at the beach which is always a sad event. The schedule called for a 2 hour easy run. As I mentioned before, all of my long runs will be at IM pace, 9 minute miles. I was dreading this run for no reason other than I thought that it would be mind numbingly boring. I left my ipod in Birmingham so I wouldn't be able to pass the time by listening to past podcasts from Ironman talk. Quick note: Ironman Talk is a great podcast put on by two Kiwi's with tons of experience. Both are great athletes in their own right, but one is a trainer and the other is a current top age group/semi pro competitor. Their "coach's corner" and "top 5" segments provide tons of useful information for the first timer.
Alright so back to the run. Nothing too crazy here. I only managed to hit a 9 minute average twice. The rest of the time I was fighting to slow down. Running slow really blows. I will say that at this pace, I've had no GI problems. Everything is working fine down there. My last two long runs have included potty stops. Thank God for clean restrooms at gas stations. I'm dreading the day that I'm forced to find a port-a-john at a construction site.
So I finished the run with just under 14 miles. Everything felt great. No foot, knee, hip, or back worries. The body is in good shape.
That afternoon, I flew to Atlanta for a few days with clients. This put me on a mandatory two days of rest, but now I'm back in town, rested up, and ready to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment