Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Ironman Training Week #3

Somewhere along the way I totally ditched writing about week two, but it was there I promise. Week #2 was partially spent out of town and partially spent at home trying to get the work in. Thursday, I learned a valuable lesson in intervals. I'd set out to do 4 repeats of an all out TT on a 4.5 mile road. Well, I made it through two of them before crying uncle. 4.5 miles is too long. At least for now it is. I need to shorten my intervals so that I can increase the amount of work I'm getting in.
This weekend I booked my longest ride ever. I set out with a my friend Tony and put in just under 75 miles in. I was stoked with the distance, but man I was toast.
This week it's more of the same. Monday, was an hour long endurance swim. The aftermath left me with a really sore right arm. I noticed it this morning while running as I was having trouble straightening it out fully. I think it's from touching the side of the pool when I make my turns. Admittedly, I don't know how to do flip turns. I've only started noticing the sore arms after my long swims. I will either have to learn to do flip turns which scare the crap out of me or I'll have to start touching the wall with my left hand which will only result in a sore left arm. Sounds like I just need to learn how to do flip turns.
This morning, I completed 8 miles of speed work. Loved it, but now I'm exhausted. I'm currently forcing food down my throat to refuel for this afternoons ride.
I have two days of speed work to do in the pool and two long endurance runs to do as well as my shortened interval session on the bike. As long as the weather holds up, I'm back in the saddle again for another long ride on Saturday. Should be 75 miles again, but will be on the Tri bike this weekend instead of the roadie. Sunday brings in my first 15 mile run. Nutrition is still a work in progress, but I like what I've done so far. Things are going well, and except for the sore arm the body is holding up. More later. Tailwinds...

2 comments:

  1. Try just soumersaulting in the shallow end and then try swimming and then soumersaulting and then get close to the wall. I still sometimes will get too close to the wall and chicken out on a flip turn and sometimes (like today) totally miss the wall and then have to laugh at myself. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, flip turns are much better. But short of that, you should absolutely switch "turning hands." Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete