Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Hot Days, Shoes, and Mileage

Wow, it's so dang hot here. Avoiding the 95 degree temps with 100% humidity is becoming increasingly difficult. It seems I can't leave early enough to get the miles in that are needed plus finish up before the heat becomes unbearable. I'm pounding water all day right now trying to keep my hydration up. Like most triathletes, I'm a sweater so I'm constantly weighing myself to see how much in fluids I've lost. It's not been pretty.
My latest dilemma has been the collection of sweat that builds up in my shoes. Other than having the smelliest shoes on the planet, it's a bit annoying to slosh around in sweat soaked shoes while running. That, and they are freaking heavy. So, I started looking around at some shoes that might help me out in that area. I'd heard that Zoot's shoes acted as a squeegee to remove sweat and water by pushing it through the sole of the shoe. I've read probably 10 reviews on these shoes and 8 or so we're all complaints. It was either, this shoes is crap, it gave me blisters, this shoe is worthless, it's already breaking down yada yada yada. My further research showed that the shoes are designed for heel strikers and not so much the fore foot strikers like myself. All the padding is in the rear of the shoe. The padding underneath the ball of the foot is very thin. So, this shoe wasn't going to work for me.
I checked out the Newton brand, but it didn't have any type of drainage system for sweat. I might as well have kept my Nike Elites. But all is not lost. I did find the K-Swiss K-ona. It's a 9oz stability shoe made for fore foot strikers and and and! it has holes in the souls for that all important sweat squeegee. YES! I found a killer deal on sidelineapparell.com for the shoes. Everywhere else had the shoes for $90+, but this site had them for $69.99 plus shipping. Not bad. I've yet to run in them so I'll have to give a report later.
As far as training goes, the mileage is up. I did 96 miles on Saturday and a 16 mile run on Sunday. The legs were a little sore, but I was still able to get my interval training in this morning. Optimism is high. Feeling good and strong. Just need to keep staying hydrated and well rest. Speaking of, it's off to bed. The 5:00 am swim comes early.

2 comments:

  1. Another thing that might help with sweaty shoes is to load them up with baby powder. If nothing else it help neutralize that wonderful "corn chip" smell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bullet, thanks for the wisdom man.
    Also congrats on becoming a dad.
    Just don't do anything crazy like naming the kid Dave "The Man" Bullet or Mark Allen Bullet ;)

    ReplyDelete