Saturday, March 14, 2009

Perseverance 5K


This morning was the Perseverance 5K, and it was a rainy and gloomy morning. I really didn't have high hopes going into the race due to the weather. I thought for sure it was slow me down just a bit. I met up with Dr. Nitrous, Team Hathorne, and BGillis before the race. It was good to laugh and cut up before a race. This is something that never happens before a triathlon or a major running race. I really miss that.
The plan was to run the first mile sub goal, the second at goal pace, and then just hang on for the third and .1. The last mile and a half is a steady climb and a killer. My previous PR in this race two years ago was 20:31. I knew I was faster than that now, but the question was could I go sub 20.
My plan started off perfectly. I did 5:59 the first mile and felt great. I was cruising after mile 2 with a 6:24 pace. The steady hill started wearing on me, but I just kept focusing on the guy in front of me who was about 20 yards ahead. I knew I was in the front group, but didn't know how close. Mile 3 clicked in at 6:28 pace. I knew I had a chance at the guy in front so I threw down the hammer and took him just after the 3 mile marker sign. I was dying, but I hit my goal crossing the line at 19:46. First in AG and 5th overall. I can't get too exited about the placing because that's all about who shows up. I am stoked about going sub 20 for the first time.
I made it back to the house and got on the trainer for a while. The rain ruined my big brick day, but I can always do it tomorrow.
Instead, I had the distinct honor of cleaning house. Woo hoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment