Monday, March 30, 2009

The Schedule is Set - For the Most Part



Well, I've finally made a few decisions. It's tough trying to get a race schedule set when there's a wife, family members, and work involved, but I'm finally done. I think any way. I had nearly decided to back out of Powerman Alabama which is coming up on April 19th. I really wasn't happy with the course and felt that it was going to take away from the enjoyment of the race. Also, there was an Olympic/Intermediate distance race the next week down in Pensacola that could have replaced it. After finding out that we're planning a trip to the beach the following week, it just makes more since to stay in town the week of the Oly Race. Problem solved. I'm going to suck it up and do Powerman. Now, the only thing to do is to prepare for the thing.


The last time I raced Powerman (2007), I ran the 8K in 34 mins and some change. After the 50K bike, I ran the second 8K in 40 mins and a lot of change. I struggled. That's not going to happen this year. I have two workouts in the bank where my second run has consistently stayed right at the 7 min/mile pace. The first was a 3 mile R/ 30 mile B / 3 mile R. The second was a 4 mile R/1:05 B/ 4 mile R. Leg strength was great. Energy was there. Now I just need to stretch it out a bit more.


Despite an odd cold breeze here or there, Spring is here and is in full swing. The pollen has me a little stopped up which only seems to bother me while I'm swimming. Just another reason why I shouldn't swim right?


I have a shortened week here. I'm headed down to the beach late Thursday after work. Despite my wife's belief we're going to relax, I'm going to train. Flat roads, head winds, and fresh seafood, here I come.

2 comments:

  1. But training *is* your form of relaxation right? :-) Have fun enjoying the beach1

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have fun on the beach and remeber the wise word of a little green duathlete:
    "Du or Du not there is no Tri."

    ReplyDelete